Information on the investigation, supervision and action in the 4th positive case of COVID-19 in Da Nang
Steering Committee for COVID-19 Prevention and Control in Da Nang city has provided information on the 4th case positive with the virus in Da Nang.
I. Patient M.Y
1. Background Information
– Name: M.Y. Gender: Male
– Born in 1979
– Nationality: American
2. Itinerary and Immigrant Process
– The patient’s wife is located in Da Nang and the patient left Da Nang on 11th February 2020 (passing many countries including Indian, Spain, Morocco, Swiss, Germany, Hungary and Netherlands).
– 10h25 on 13th March 2020, the patient took the flight SQ323, seat 15F, from Singapore to Da Nang at 11h00 on 14th March 2020 at Da Nang International Airport.
II. The implemented measures:
1. At Da Nang International Airport
– At Da Nang International Airport, the inspector checked the patient’s medical declaration; carried out a body temperature test with the camera and observed the patient’s condition, not detecting signs of suspected Covid-19 infection.
– The medical quarantine department instructed passengers to make electronic medical declarations and verified the patient’s medical declaration. The international medical quarantine officer found that the patient passed many countries currently with Covid-19, most recently Germany, Hungary, the Netherlands and Singapore. Therefore, he has reported the Steering Committee for prevention and control of the Covid-19 (Steering Committee) in Da Nang. At that time, the Steering Committee of the health sector had not issued Official Letter No. 1269 / CV-BCD (signed at 15h06 on March 14, 2020), Official Letter No. 1271 / CV-BCD (signed at 16:43 on March 14, 2020) and Official Letter No. 1272 / CV-BCD (signed at 22h37 on March 14, 2020) on the quarantine of people on entry and exit of Viet Nam due to the Covid-19 epidemic. However, the Steering Committee has discussed and decided to quarantine this case at Hospital 199 – Ministry of Public Security to get a Covid-19 sample.
– The international medical quarantine department has coordinated with competent agencies and functional units at Da Nang International Airport to conduct temporary isolation of patients in the quarantine areas of the border gates, check the health and continue to exploit information, meanwhile notifying the City Emergency Centre, to transfer the patient to quarantine area at the 199 Hospital – Ministry of Public Security at 14h on 14/3/2020.
2. At Hospital 199 – Ministry of Public Security
– Patients were quarantined and health check as prescribed under the guidance of the Ministry of Health.
– The patient was sampled for testing. On March 15, 2020, the patient had a test result that suspected Sars-Cov-2 infection.
– From March 15, 2020 to March 17, 2020, the patient’s condition was stable, and no abnormal symptoms was detected. I was noted on the evening of 17/3/2020 at Hospital 199 as following: patients awoke, no cough or shortness of breath or fever. Circuit: 78 times / minute, temperature 36.5C, blood pressure: 120/70, breathing rate: 20 times / minute.
3. Investigation process
Right after being noted that the patient was in high risk of being infected of Corona virus (in the afternoon of March 15, 2020), the health sector has implemented measures to investigate and collect information. Here were the results:
– The flight carried 40 passengers (including patients). The air crew consisted of 10 people.
– Create the list of close contacts with patient, including:
+ People with close contacts with patient on flight MI632 from Singapore to Da Nang on March 14, 2020 (people sitting in the same row, above and below 02 rows compared to patient’ chairs, that included 07 foreigners, namely 02 passengers staying in hotels in Da Nang city (Son Tra: 01, Ngu Hanh Son: 01) and 05 people staying in 02 hotels in Hoi An city, Quang Nam province.
+ 04 international medical quarantine officers
+ 02 border-gate police officers
+ 02 VIAGS officers serving on ground
– Notify the flight crew (10 flight attendants and cabin crew returned Singapore on the day) to take proactive measures to monitor health, report to the local authorities to apply quarantine measures as prescribed.
– The City Disease Control Centre coordinated with the Medical Centre of Ngu Hanh Son District, Son Tra District and local authorities to come to the hotel where two close contacts were staying, explaining and giving advice. Also, create the list of people who have been in touch with the two above-mentioned cases. Giving instruction on surface disinfection at 02 hotels in Son Tra and Ngu Hanh Son districts where 02 people have close contact with the patient on the flight.
– On 16/3/2020, transfer and quarantine 02 passengers having close contact with the patient at a concentrated facility organized by the People’s Committee of Da Nang City (Sam Grand Hotel). These two have been taken samples on March 17 and the results were negative with Sars-Cov-2.
– On March 16, 2020, to carry out medical isolation for people who had close contact with patient at Da Nang International Airport: 04 international medical quarantine officers (at Da Nang Lung Hospital), 02 border gate police officers (At Hospital 199), 02 ground-service officers (at local Medical Centre).
– The Centre for Disease Control of the city has sent a list of passengers on flight MI632 from Singapore to Da Nang city on March 14, 2020, including the seat number, the destination of the passengers for related localities to conduct joint investigations and apply appropriate medical interventions.
– In the afternoon of March 17, 2020, the City Centre for Disease Control conducted a retest of the patient and it showed positive results for Sars-Cov-2. The sample was sent immediately to Pasteur Institute of Nha Trang for confirmation.
3.3 Quarantine and Investigation of patient at Danang Hospital
After having a positive result with Sars-Cov-2 from the Patient Control Centre, the patient was transferred to Danang Hospital for treatment. At Da Nang Hospital, at 11:20 am on March 18, 2020, the patient was still stable and had no fever, no cough, no shortness of breath while health indicators were normal.
II. The upcoming Da Nang
1. Direct the Department of Health to coordinate with the relevant units:
– Continue to investigate and verify passengers on board in Da Nang city and other localities to inform, advise on health monitoring methods, submit electronic medical declarations, report to the local authority of the destination to quarantine and apply medical interventions as prescribed;
– At the same time, continue to direct the investigation, make a list of close contacts of passengers traveling on flight MI632, people in close contact with passengers that had close contact to patients at Da Nang International Airport to inform the police offices and local administrations in coordination to apply isolation measures and medical interventions according to regulations.
2. To direct Da Nang Hospital to arrange adequate resources, focus on treatment, care and monitor patients’ health.
3. Communicating for people, in order to coordinate with functional agencies, proactively declare truthfully for cases of close contact with patients, cases of close contact with people of close contact with patients.
Communication Subcommittee reported. /.